To get going on PrEP, speak to your regular physician or nursing assistant, or search well for A health that is sexual Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To discover if PrEP suits you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is for HIV-negative individuals that are prepared to simply take an everyday pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Try not to always utilize condoms during intercourse
- Recently had a intimately transmitted infection (sti)
- Do have more than one intimate partner
- Have partner who may have intercourse with other lovers
- Have partner who’s got HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Want to conceive with a partner who’s got HIV
- Have partner who does not want to get an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for the money, medications or an accepted spot to keep
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
How can PrEP stop HIV?
If you’re confronted with HIV, the medicines in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing through your human anatomy, preventing an HIV disease. PrEP just works when you yourself have sufficient medicine within you, and that means you need certainly to simply take PrEP each and every day.
Truvada® — the only medicine currently authorized as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same medicines that are safe lots of people with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Which are the relative unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to take care of individuals with HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP usually do not report any relative unwanted effects. For people who do, probably the most side that is common are nausea, upset belly, weakness and headaches. These symptoms usually have better or go away inside the very first thirty days of taking PrEP. Rare negative effects consist of bone or kidney dilemmas. The doctor or nursing assistant will allow you to handle any relative negative effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for folks who make the capsule at the very least four times per week. Your HIV danger is much reduced invest the PrEP each day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, this has assisted reduce brand new HIV infections across nyc.
If We simply take PrEP, do We still need to use condoms?
PrEP is definitely an effective hiv avoidance selection for individuals who don’t use condoms whenever they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended maternity.
How do you just just take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a tablet as soon as a day, also on times that you don’t have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is recommended by way of a nurse or doctor.
- That you do not have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthy before you start PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test you to make sure.
- While you’re on PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test you every 90 days for HIV and also at minimum every half a year for any other STIs.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever PrEP that is taking an individual’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it simply just take for PrEP working?
Studies declare that you’ll want to just simply take day-to-day PrEP for at minimum:
- A week before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It is really not yet understood how many days you will need to just simply simply take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How to buy PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is included in Medicaid & most medical insurance plans.
You may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP if you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay. Medical clinics can additionally assist patients apply. You can easily enlist into an insurance that is low-cost by calling 311.
Find out more about your Payment alternatives for PrEP (PDF).
May I get PrEP if i’m an undocumented immigrant
Immigration status doesn’t impact your capability to obtain PrEP. You are able to properly talk to staff at our Sexual Health Clinics about how your immigration status may impact your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention techniques.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even though you are younger than 18, parental authorization is not needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and associated visits to the hospital is private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can assist you with this particular procedure.
Exactly just exactly How else could I remain HIV-negative?
- Learn about crisis PEP. If you should be perhaps not taking PrEP and think you had been recently subjected to HIV, go straight away to your medical professional or a crisis space and have for PEP, an urgent situation medicine that may avoid HIV. You’ll be able to call the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to get going on PEP straight away. The hotline can be acquired 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as much that you can. Discover the type and size of condom you prefer. Condoms are offered for free in most five boroughs. To get our where you are able to get a free condom, call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, specially during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test could be the only method to understand if you or even a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about screening. Pose a question to your sex lovers concerning the time that is last had an HIV test. To make sure, get tested together.
- Help your lovers managing HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV getting HIV care and simply take their medicines every time, so that they remain healthy and never pass HIV to other people.
- Get checked for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be much easier to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol when you’ve got intercourse. Getting or drinking high when you yourself have intercourse makes it difficult to remember to make use of condoms. For assist to prevent using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize clean syringes (PDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you are able to get clean syringes in the city.
PrEP for ladies
PrEP can be A hiv that is effective choice for cisgender and transgender females when taken daily.
Women that have actually genital intercourse have to be specially careful to just just take PrEP each and every day to keep sufficient medication in their vaginal muscle to avoid an HIV infection.
Ladies who have intercourse with females and whom might be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications when i find a man can additionally reap the benefits of PrEP.
Will PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP will not affect hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, so that you nevertheless need certainly to utilize birth prevention or condoms to avoid unintended maternity and other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormones treatment?
No. There’s absolutely no proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the degrees of hormones within you. Studies have unearthed that transgender ladies who simply take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
May I simply just simply take PrEP while hoping to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who want to conceive a young child having A hiv-positive partner. PrEP is safe for the child and mother both during and after maternity, and has now maybe not demonstrated an ability to impact fertility.
If you want to simply just take PrEP while wanting to conceive, consult with the doctor. You may want to consult a specialist for lots more guidance about making use of PrEP because of this.